Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Appreciation for the Handmade

Hello, Friends! Lately, I have been very nostalgic for handmade items. Part of the reason is that as I was watch my wee ones grow, I've thought a lot about what kinds of experiences I want them to have, life I want to model for them, and appreciation for our world and the people in it that I want to instill in them.

Growing up, I remember my mom sewing. She made me a Little House on the Prairie costume, dresses, smocks, and many other items. She also knit afghans and cross stitched cute sayings that she framed and gave as gifts. 

Picking up from her influence and that of my grandmother who knit, I began sewing in high school and loved it but got away from it. It's something I've thought a lot about making time for again. It's a memory I had of my childhood and it's an appreciation I want to pass on to my own kids.

I'm a list person, and have a very long crafting wish list, which I hope to share with you later this week. Near the top of my list is toys for the kiddos -- something one-of-a-kind and personalized.

I've been paying attention to my kiddos and C is really into balls -- any kind of ball. I'm thinking of making him something like this...
via
 ...or this...
via
M didn't really seem to be into anything for quite sometime, but now she really seems to be steering towards her dolls and GIANT Care Bear. She likes to mother them, change their diapers, read them stories, and tuck them in for night, night. 

I've been toying as of late with making her a doll or something based on her artwork. Last night she drew her first circle (that actually looks like a circle) and then kept drawing them, adding "tails," "fins," "eyes," and "teeth." Let's see...she had two fish (one with "polka dots") and a "sneaker wearing dinosaur" with teeth. 

I don't know that I could pull off a sneaker-wearing-dinosaur, but I think I could do something like this...
via
I also would like to explore making her a doll like this one...
Etsy via
Aren't they sweet?? I found this tute that I think I could use as a basis for a doll creation.

Did you grow up with handmade items? What appreciations do you want to pass on to your loved ones? Hopefully in the coming month, I can tackle these projects...and I promise to share the good and the goofy :-)

Happy day!
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment